Distraction.gov has reported that distracted drivers killed over 3,100 people and injured over 430,000 in accidents in 2015 alone
As distracted driving becomes more prevalent, the rate of accidents resulting from this practice will likely increase. With an increase in accidents, you may see your auto insurance rates increase. Fortunately, there may be a solution on the horizon that'll help people prevent wrecks. It may also lower car insurance too.
What Are Semi-Autonomous Vehicles?
Semi-autonomous vehicles can operate without human interaction for an extended period. Unlike the self-driving cars that Google introduced, these vehicles do require human interaction. In fact, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) considers these cars Level 3. The following are the four levels of automation per NHTSA's description.
Semi-autonomous vehicles are one step below the fully functioning self-driving cars Google created.
- Level 0 refers to cars that have no automation.
- Level 1 refers to cars that have function-specific automation. These cars are limited when it comes to automation. They usually have features that don't interact with each other, like cruise control.
- Level 2 refers to cars that have combined function automation. These cars are more advanced than Level 1 cars. For instance, the cruise control and automatic braking system may work together. Or, the vehicle may use a camera to prevent drivers from backing into another vehicle.
- Level 3 refers to cars that have limited self-driving automation. Drivers can allow these cars to drive for hours without any human interaction.
- >Level 4 refers to cars that have full self-driving automation. Human interaction isn't required to drive these cars.
How Semi-Autonomous Cars May Reduce Accidents
With the ability to drive without a human guiding the car for hours, semi-autonomous cars bring accuracy to driving. Without the potential for human error, people don't have to worry about distracted drivers behind the wheel. Even when drivers do take the wheel, it's likely they'll have improved focus since they won't have to drive as much.
Car manufacturers will likely not introduce semi-autonomous vehicles to the market in large numbers for another five years. Once this happens, these vehicle will offer even more benefits. Namely, semi-autonomous cars will have the ability to follow each other on the highway without colliding.
Fleming & Riles Insurance can help you the coverage that you need to protect your car. Give us a call at (800) 833-4379 for a free Georgia car insurance quote.
Also Read: Get Some Rest! Only 6 Hours Of Sleep Increases Accident Risks